Wednesday, January 9, 2008

good reminder.

I WROTE THIS FOR MY LOCAL MOPS NEWSLETTER.

I love this year’s theme; the idea of dwelling. It has caused me to reflect on MY dwelling. Most often I think of my physical dwelling or my home. Most of the thoughts I have go something like this, “I wish I had more space.” “I wish I had my own scrap room.” “I wish we had a family room.” “I wish our laundry room wasn’t in the garage.” “I wish we had two bathrooms.” You might be able to relate to some of these.

There are also times, though, that I love my little house. I think it is warm and inviting and I like my colors and my furniture. I also equate my home with the word REFUGE. It is often times where I want to be when the world around me seems chaotic. I want to be HOME. It is a refuge for me because it provides comfort, familiarity, rest and loved ones who understand me.

A couple of months ago our house was broken into and we had some things stolen. My image of my home being a refuge was shaken a little bit. I had feelings of being violated and my feeling of safety was questioned. I didn’t trust that my home was the refuge I once thought it was because it had been invaded by an intruder.

I had to quickly refocus and turn my thoughts to the Lord. I was reminded how many times in scripture it tells us that the Lord is our refuge.

“The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you, saying, 'Destroy him!”
Deuteronomy 33:27

”My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent men you save me”.
2 Samuel 22:3

”The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.”
Psalm 9:9

“The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”
Psalm 18:2


“The LORD will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the sky will tremble. But the LORD will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel.”
Joel 3:16

“The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him,”
Nahum 1:7


These are just a few of the verses that describe the Lord as being our refuge. There are many more and I encourage you to dig in and find them. The book of Psalms is a great place to start. Personally, I frequently need a refuge from the world around me and I am so thankful that I find that refuge not in things of this world, but in the Lord, Jesus Christ. He is the only true refuge that we can trust for eternity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home